I joined The Classics Club in February 2018 and (hopefully) will read these fifty classics by 2023. February 26th 2023, to be more precise. If you want to know more about The Classics Club or why I joined, you can read my original post here.
- Beowulf, anonymous (trans. by Seamus Heaney, among others) (approx. 10th century)
- El Cantar del Mio Cid, anonymous (approx.13th century)
- La Celestina, by Fernando de Rojas (1499)
Hamlet, by William Shakespeare (1599-1602)– Finished March 2018. Review here.
- Othello, by William Shakespeare (1603)
- * King Lear, by William Shakespeare (1605-1606)
- Macbeth, by William Shakespeare (1606)
- The Duchess of Malfi, by John Webster (1612-1613)
- Henry VIII, by William Shakespeare (1613)
- Paradise Lost, John Milton (1667)
- Oroonoko, or the Royal Slave, by Aphra Behn (1688)
- * Robinson Crusoe, by Daniel Defoe (1719)
- * Gulliver’s Travels, by Jonathan Swift (1726)
- Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen (1811)
- Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott (1820)
- The Last Man, by Mary Shelley (1826)
Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Brontë (1847)– Finished April 2018. Review here.
- Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë (1847)
- Vanity Fair, by William Makepeace Thackerey (1847-1848)
- Moby Dick, by Herman Melville (1851)
- A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens (1859)
- Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens (1861)
- Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo (1862)
- Alice in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll (1865)
- * Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott (1868-1869)
- Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll (1872)
- * Michael Strogoff, the Courier of the Czar, by Jules Verne (1876)
- * The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain (1876)
- Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoi (1877)
- * The Adventures of Huckelberry Finn, by Mark Twain (1884)
- The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde (1890)
- The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling (1894)
- The Call of the Wild, by Jack London (1903)
- Dubliners, by James Joyce (1914)
- The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1925)
- Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley (1932)
- La casa de Bernarda Alba, by Federico García Lorca (1936)
- Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck (1937)
- Animal Farm, by George Orwell (1945)
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)– Finished November 2018. Review here.
- Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury (1953)
The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien (1954)– Finished March 2018. Review here. The Two Towers, by J.R.R. Tolkien (1954)– Finished April 2018. Review here. The Return of the King, by J.R.R. Tolkien (1955)– Finished October 2018. Review here.
- Dr Zhivago, by Boris Pasternak (1957)
Cien años de soledad (A Hundred Years of Solitude), by Gabriel García Márquez (1967)– Finished June 2018. Review here.
- Momo, by Michael Ende (1973)
- * The Neverending Story, by Michael Ende (1979)
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams (1979)– Finished June 2018. Review here.
- The Handmaid’s Tale, by Margaret Atwood (1985)
Starred titles are rereads.